Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My gated community and the spies of Mildenhall








Since my apartment isn't quite ready to be photographed, I took some pics of the Manor next to my apartment. I am not sure of the history of the Manor, but it is a giant mansion that has about 10 acres. I guess they sold the land and that became my apartment complex. The entire estate is mine as well, so i can walk the paths and chase the animals of the surrounding woods.














I had my final flight physical this morning. I had gone in on Thursday and they gave me 3 different sleeping pills that I had to test out. they are to make sure i didn't have a reaction in case they had to issue them to me on deployment for crew rest issues. So i am good to go and may start flying as early as Thurs or Friday. I am fully Block 40 upgraded and just have to fly a couple times to be operationally qualified. i am getting excited.














My movers come tomorrow, then the phone people will come on Thursday. I will get an American number through vonage, then all calls will be just as if you were calling Florida. I have to get Mary's Acura's light conversion and yearly maintenance check on Friday. They have different standards as Americans do. So they will have to adjust the lights and other stuff. All can be undone so Mary can sleep well knowing it isn't permanently tainted.
There are some other animals in the pictures. I am not sure what the 2 birds are, maybe some kind of quail. The other is a small deer. They are much smaller than American white tailed deer. The picture of cars is right along our flight line. The community loves to track the tail numbers of the planes. They have huge lensed cameras and just hug the fence only about 100 yards from the runway all day and even night. Its kinda neat that they enjoy watching rather than being upset we are there. Sometimes it makes you wonder who else can be there watching though. I am sure we have proper protection. Enjoy!


I watched Frost/Nixon last night on base. The theater is pretty nice. It hasn't been crowded yet. The movies aren't as recent as America, just about a month later. The great thing is that it is only 4 bucks. so i usually just grab subway and see a movie if it looks good. I enjoyed the movie. i am not from that era, and i don't have any personal feelings about Nixon. The movie did a good job of playing both sides. i felt bad for Nixon at times in the movie. I recommend it.

I hear this Friday is a "family day" and most will not have to work. As the newbie, i will probably fly or something on Friday, but we will see. Even though i have no real family here, i plan on taking advantage. i may head somewhere south around London. On Saturday i am going to see my favorite Ska band, Streetlight Manifesto, at the University of London Union. I am excited. i am coming around to the Cask Ales here. Those are the warmer, less carbonated beers. it sounds awful, and if you get the wrong one it will make you quit drinking beer. Instead of being pressurized in a keg at the brewery and shipped, the company sends the half fermented barrel to the bar. The bar tenders then put them in the basement and open the barrels for about 2 days for the beer to finish its process. From there they just put a hose in the barrel and have to hand pump the beer out. it is an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment